Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Successful thesis defense

Last week I defended my master's thesis, which included a public presentation of my research. Fortunately, things went well, and there were no hiccups. The title of my thesis was "Morphometric characterization of artificial post-mining landforms and natural landforms using a Geographic Information System", which is quite a mouthful. However, the premise is fairly easy to understand. Gold mining in Nevada produces large landforms, hills really. The goal of the thesis was to use GIS to determine how artificially-produced terrain differs from natural terrain, in other words, to quantify the shape and form of landforms. I've got a few minor revisions to the thesis before I submit it to the graduate school and then I'm done!

1 comment:

Laura Withrow said...

So, how did you felt after successfully defending your thesis paper? Well, for some it was the time where their efforts were finally being paid off. But it is certainly nervous defending the paper. From the thesis abstracts to the conclusion, the committee can really have a lot of angles to look at the paper. Anyway, hope everything went well with your life after graduating.